This wonderful tour showcases some of the most spectacular landscapes of both the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.
We will journey on the Settle to Carlisle Railway, arguably the most scenic railway route in the United Kingdom. It is widely held to be one of the best constructed and engineered railway lines in England and is rightly considered to be a masterpiece of Victorian engineering.
Also included is a cruise on Ullswater in the Lake District, a lake known for its beauty which has inspired many famous writers and artists over the centuries.
- Cruise on Ullswater Lake
- Free time in Keswick
- Lakes Distillery tour with tasting
- Guided tour of Hadrian’s Wall
- Visit to Vindolanda Fort & Museum
- A train journey on the Settle to Carlisle Railway
Gilsland Hall Hotel**
Gilsland, Brampton, Cumbria
The hotel is located close to the village of Gilsland, in 140 acres of grounds, with spectacular views over the Cumbrian countryside. The hotel has 94 bedrooms, all with en suite, tea/coffee making facilities, television and hairdryer.
Monday: We depart the Travel Centre this morning and make our way to Cumbria with a stop for lunch. We aim to arrive at the hotel late afternoon.
Tuesday: We depart the hotel today and head for Pooley Bridge, the pretty Lakeland village, where we take a short walk to board the Steamer for a cruise on Ullswater. This 60-minute cruise takes us to Glennriding Pier. We stop in the pretty town of Keswick, before heading to The Lakes Distillery, England’s largest distillery. We enjoy a guided tour with tasting of whiskey, gin and vodka.
Wednesday: This morning we meet our guide for a full day guided tour of Hadrian’s Wall. We travel along passing some fabulous scenery along the route of Hadrian’s Wall, with a visit to the Roman Vindolanda Fort & Museum, the most exciting archaeological site on Hadrian’s wall. After, we visit the charming market town of Hexham.
Thursday: Today we take a spectacular train journey along the famous Settle to Carlisle Railway with its towering viaducts, bridges, long deep tunnels and lovingly kept station gardens.
Friday: We bid a fond farewell to the hotel staff as we head back to Hugglescote this morning, arriving back late afternoon.
- (00:00) Hugglescote Roberts depot The Limes
- Midland Road
- (00:00) Leicester St Margaret's Bus Station
- Stand SA
- New Road
- (00:00) Pick Up Home Address
Our Gold Holidays Include:
- Porterage at the hotel
- Door to Door home pick-up within our designated area
- Free secure parking at our Travel Centre in Hugglescote
- Use of our rest facilities and tea & coffee drinks service available at our staffed Travel Centre on the outward journey
- Executive coach travel throughout and free reserved seating for our customers
- All excursions and entrances as described in the itinerary
- Welcome reception at Hugglescote on the day of departure
- Return welcome from Roberts Holidays' staff